A graphic designer creates the visual components of various types of media including TV, film, movies, magazines, written material and even advertising. The graphic designer or graphic artist has the unique job of taking the verbal ideas from the client and developing a creative way to capture both the information and the emotion that the production is trying to show. Many graphic designers have extensive education in art, filming and graphic design.
Most graphic designers use a variety of very complex computer programs in their day-to-day work. Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and PageMaker are just a few of the graphic design programs commonly used. The graphic design artist may choose to use a variety of programs when developing their design. After the initial design they may be required to modify or edit it based on the request of the client, producer or director.
Many graphic designers work for large publications or media agencies, whereas others work independently on a project by project basis. Usually the hours are fairly regular although timelines may require evening or weekend work to meet deadlines. Excellent communication skills an a creative and unique way of looking at things is a definite asset to a graphic designer. Artistic talent is a definite asset but is not always essential if the designer has a good eye for the overall picture.
Common work activities include:
- Meeting with clients and clearly understanding what they are requesting that the final project look like.
- Creating and developing new and unique ideas to represent an idea. This may include working with a design team or working directly with the client.
- Using various computer programs to generate final projects for client’s approval.
- Modifying, revising and editing projects as required by the client.
- Staying within timelines and deadlines for completion dates for projects. This requires good time management and organizational skills.
- Invoicing, billing and bidding for new projects for those graphic designers that work freelance or are self-employed.