100 Tips, Tools, and Secrets to Develop a Successful Personal Brand
Develop your personal brand, and you'll find that more doors are open to you. Whether you're searching for a job, trying to develop your career, or building a business, it's vital that you have a strong personal brand to represent yourself. Read on to learn about some of the strategies and ideas for building a personal brand that works for you.
Here you'll find lots of great advice for personal brand development.
- Stand out: Market yourself as something different from the pack.
- Be visible: To be successful, your personal brand must be seen over and over again, so take part in networking, writing, speaking, and other activities that will improve your visibility.
- Share your public personal values: Create a well developed sense of your public personal values, and make them available so that others can relate to them.
- Get an online presence: Establish yourself on the Internet to become more accessible and easy to find.
- Develop your benefits: Make sure that your personal brand highlights the benefits of your "product."
- Comment on blogs: Be sure to comment on blogs that discuss you and topics important to you.
- Find your expertise: Develop your passion, become an expert, and establish yourself as the go-to person for that topic.
- Be yourself: Don't try to be something you're not-make your personal brand truly you.
- Fine tune your brand: If you're lost among the crowd, make your brand more specific by fine tuning.
- Write an About page: Create an about page to help people quickly and easily find out more about your personal brand.
- Develop easily distributed media: Share your expertise and ideas through videos, podcasts, ebooks, and other packaged media that can build your personal brand on their own and help you be more authorative.
- Develop your charm: Find your mojo, and create a je ne sais quoi that will draw people in to your brand.
- Be consistent: Once you've established your style, stick with it.
- Don't be afraid to evolve: Although consistency is important, be careful that your brand does not get stuck in a rut, allowing yourself to grow.
- Have strong self esteem: Be confident in your brand, and others will be as well.
- Create a logo: Use a small image consistently to be more recognizable.
- Write: Write articles, books, and more to show others that you are knowledgeable about your subject of expertise, and improve your image.
- Consider what others are doing right: Look to those you respect for their strong personal brands, and find out what they are doing to develop theirs.
- Ask questions: Turn to your community to learn more and interact with them.
- Be reachable: Create a destination that helps people learn what you're about, whether it's a blog, Twitter account, or social media profile.
- Use the same avatar everywhere: Keep a consistent avatar so it's easy for others to identify you through different channels.
- Communicate effectively: Learn how to communicate so that people will listen to what you have to say.
- Consider your appearance: Make sure that your outward personal appearance conveys the message that you'd like to associate with your personal brand.
- Regularly create new content: Consistently and frequently create new content so that others can relate to and find you online.
- Develop a succinct message: Create a message that effectively explains what it is that makes up your personal brand.
- Be a part of conversations: Share your ideas, answer questions, and add value to the discussions in your community.
- Consider using a more unique name: If your name is extremely common or associated with someone who has a bad reputation, think about slightly modifying your first name, or using your middle name to set yourself apart.
- Claim your identity: Whether you intend to use it immediately or not, it's a good idea to snap up your name for domains, Twitter, usernames, and more so that others can't use them.
- Be original: Avoid too many "me too" posts, instead creating something original to define you.
- Identify your dependability: Make sure you're clear on what others can count on you for, whether it's innovation, humor, or organization.
- Avoid using an alias: Make sure your branding is properly credited to you by using your real name online.
- Improve your etiquette: Send hand written notes, return phone calls, and be sure to practice good manners with others.
- Be generous: Give back to your community through charitable causes and associations.
- Apologize when you mess up: Show that you're human and willing to admit when you're wrong.
- Keep good company: Surround yourself with good employees, friends, partners, and clients.
- Innovate: Do something new, and you'll get people interested in what you're about.
- Identify your attitude: Think about the vibe you put out, and be sure to express it without doubt.
- Build your personal ability: Develop your value by reading books, obtaining education, and gathering experiences.
Make use of these tools on your quest to build a stronger personal brand.
- Twitter: Twitter is a great tool for establishing your personal brand through interaction with others.
- Career Branding: What's the Value of Your Personal Brand?: Take this quiz to find out how strong your brand is.
- Resume Bucket: Upload your resume to this site, and you'll be able to share, promote, and track it.
- WordPress: Use WordPress or other blog services to create your own blog to develop your personal brand.
- Ning: Create your own social network to take on a leadership role in your community using Ning.
- LinkedIn: Connect with your network, establish your identity online, and meet new contacts through LinkedIn.
- StatCounter: Find out who is linking to your sites by checking out your stats, and follow up on those links to build relationships.
- YouTube: YouTube will help you better connect with others, making them feel like they already know you without even speaking to them.
- TweetBeep: TweetBeep will help you find out when anyone writes a Tweet that includes your name.
- Facebook: Facebook is excellent for connecting with others because it is so prominent that you can find just about everyone on it.
- FriendFeed: Follow and share others on FriendFeed to get syndication of your activities in social media.
- Google Alerts: Set up a Google Alert for your name, aliases, and personal business to find out who is talking about you.
- Technorati: Technorati will help you find out who is linking in to and writing about your blog.
- Flickr: Post photos on Flickr to let people see what you look like, and that you care about them by posting photos of them or commenting on their images.
- Copyscape: Protect your personal brand by finding plagiarism of your intellectual property and taking it down.
- Google Scholar: Using Google Scholar, you can find out who has recently cited your papers.
Read these articles and blog posts to learn all about personal brand development.
- A Dozen Things You Must Know About Communicating Your Career Brand: Learn more about communicating your career brand from Quint Careers.
- Develop a Strong Personal Brand Online: Chris Brogan shares the basics of personal branding and beyond in this post.
- 13 Important Drivers to Developing Your Personal Brand: In this post, you'll find 13 things you can do to develop your unique personal brand.
- Develop Your Personal Brand: Yahoo! Hot Jobs explains why a personal brand is not a luxury, but rather essential for success.
- Maintaining Your Personal Brand Online: This post will help you learn how to establish your personal brand on the Internet.
- Personal Branding Basics: Read this post to learn the essentials of personal branding.
- Transitioning Your Tween Personal Brand Into Your Desired Adult Identity: In this post, you'll find out how to make your personal brand grow up.
- Finding Your Mojo: Tara Hunt explains how you can find your own personal charm.
- Brand Management = Who's Talking About You?: Anne Ruthmann highlights a variety of useful tools and strategies for managing your brand online.
- Your Personal Brand: On Coding Horror, you can learn why IT professionals should focus less on skills, and more on personal branding.
- Explore Successful Personal Brands: Check out this post to find personal brands of successful people with strong personal brands.
- Gain a Competitive Edge by Establishing a Personal Brand: This post explains how creating your personal brand can help you be more marketable in your job search.
- Your Personal Brand is Equal to Your Google Results: Stepcase Lifehack explains why Google often defines your personal brand.
- How to Define a Personal Brand: Here you'll find a how-to guide to creating your personal brand.
- Personal Brand Awards: Get inspired by these award winning personal brands.
- Developing a Successful Personal Brand: Learn how you leave a fingerprint on others through this blog post.
- The Brand Called You: Fast Company explains how to take a lesson from the big brands when developing your personal brand.
- Managing Your Employment Brand Online: This post will help you stay on top of your online brand.
- 100 Personal Branding Tactics Using Social Media: Learn how to best use social media for branding with the help of this post.
- Develop Your Personal Brand to Land a Job: Read this post to learn how to translate personal branding into a job.
- Develop Your Personal Brand-Twelve Tips: Here you'll get 12 tips for your personal public relations.
- Now for My Next Trick, I'll Turn My Brand into Cash: Sarah Lacy explains the difficulty of making your brand translate into earning money.
- Elements of a Personal Brand: Chris Brogan breaks down the important parts of personal brands.
- Developing a Compelling Personal Brand Image: Make your image more prominent with the help of this post.
- Personal Branding Strategies: Check out this post to learn how to build a personal brand for your business.
- 1 or 100: How Many Social Networks Should You Join?: The Schipul Blog offers some good advice for diving into personal branding social media.
- Building a successful personal brand: what we can learn from Will Smith: Find out what Will Smith has to offer for personal branding advice.
- Daily DIY: Building Personal Brand Within the Social Media Landscape: You'll find lots of great advice and tools for using social media to build your personal brand.
- Three Key Steps to Developing Your Personal Brand: Erik Folgate's post explains how to make personal branding work for you.
Books & Blogs
Make use of these great resources for a wealth of personal branding education.
- HorsePigCow: Tara Hunt, author of The Whuffie Factor, explains "whuffie," the social capital of your personal or business brand.
- Personal Branding Blog: Dan Schawbel maintains this blog about personal branding for Gen-Y.
- Career Warfare: 10 Rules for Building a Successful Personal Brand and Fighting to Keep It: Read this book to learn to distinguish yourself from other employees.
- Managing Brand You: In this book, you'll find 7 steps to creating a successful personal brand.
- Be Your Own Brand: A Breakthrough Formula for Standing Out from the Crowd: David McNally and Karl Speak show you how to apply branding from business to your personal identity.
- Make it Happen! Live Out Your Personal Brand: This book shares life lessons, words of advice, and stories that will help you learn to live out your personal brand.
- Career Distinction: Stand Out by Building Your Brand: Find out how to build and nurture your personal brand to establish or secure your status as a professional.
- The Brand You 50: Find 50 nuggets of personal branding gold within the pages of this book.
- Get Slightly Famous: Become a Celebrity in Your Field and Attract More Business with Less Effort: Read this book and learn how to build visibility and credibility.
- UR a Brand! How Smart People Brand Themselves for Business Success: This book is full of advice and tools for establishing your brand.
- Make a Name for Yourself: Eight Steps Every Woman Needs to Create a Personal Brand Strategy for Success: In this book, you'll find a step by step program for establishing a strong identity.
Check out these videos to get a look at personal brand development.
- Web 2.0 Expo NY: Gary Vanerchuk (Wine Library), Building Personal Brand Within the Social Media Landscape: Watch this video to learn about Gary Vaynerchuk's approach to personal branding in social media.
- Business Tips: How to Build Your Personal Brand Online: Penny Power's video offers methods for building your personal brand.
- Building Your Personal Brand with Video: Find out how you can use the power of video to build your personal brand.
- Personality Project: Frank Gruber Shares How to Build Your Personal Brand: Find out how Frank Gruber built his personal brand from this video.
- (Self branding) vs. Product Branding: Check out this video to learn the difference between personal and product branding.
- Robert Scoble Teaches Personal Brand Building: This video offers a lesson on personal brand building from Robert Scoble.